Monday, May 30, 2011

how to be happy.

dear friends,

i've discovered the answer to being happy. or rather, GOOGLE has. with just a click of the mouse, one can find "about 105,000,000 results" for "how to be happy". wow,... that was easy.

think again.

if someone came up to you on the street and asked you, "are you happy?" what would be your honest response? my answer would be, "i'm workin' on it". i really am. my sweet husband matt would answer, "definitely, absolutely, for sure". i guess i wouldn't be as confident in answering that way. but i would like more than anything to be at that point. and that's the direction i'm headed in.

i know where the answer can be found without a question: THE GOSPEL OF JESUS CHRIST. yet learning how to apply it and reapply it (because unfortunately mistakes are a part of that application process) is a bit tricky. my query, i guess, is learning to enjoy the ride. learning to be happy WHILE experiencing the "downs".

this quote from "Our Search for Happiness" offered some much needed direction:


Although “men are, that they might have joy” (2 Ne. 2:25), this does not mean that our lives will be filled only with joy, “for it must needs be, that there is an opposition in all things” (2 Ne. 2:11). Happiness is not given to us in a package that we can just open up and consume. Nobody is ever happy 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Rather than thinking in terms of a day, we perhaps need to snatch happiness in little pieces, learning to recognize the elements of happiness and then treasuring them while they last.

my "elements of happiness":
-hitting a note right on the head while singing
-matt's hairy chin/ whiskers
-driving. windows down. favorite tunes.
-feeling the Spirit warm my heart
-pure service
-finding the perfect talk or scripture
-being in the right place at the right time
-the MTC
-Gloria's Little Italy ravioli with cheese
-sitting and talking in the living room with family
-kisses from my matt
-a productive day
-sister time
-ITALIAN people
-thinking about travel
-quality time with marfa
-meaningful talks with the hubs

President Monson had the right idea: "...find joy in the journey". i think i'll just go ahead and do that.

1 comment:

  1. Love it, Christine. I'm right there with you. When I ask Jared how he is doing each day, his answer is always: "Totally great." When he asks me how I'm doing, I usually have a much longer and not quite as positive response. We're just different. Real different, haha. And that's okay. It's a good balance. I love that quote from Our Search for Happiness--I'm going to go and snatch me some happiness today. Love you!!

    ReplyDelete